Monday, March 5, 2012

blog title change

I made two small edits to the Kichwa title of this blog. First, I changed the objective marker to -ta instead of -ra (on the word "shimi"), indicative of the Pastaza instead of the Napo dialect. Second, I added the durative -u- before the first person marker on the verb, which seems appropriate since this is an extended sort of search. One that feels like it's taking a long time already, to be honest, and I'm not even in the field yet.

Sidenote to the sidenote, the durative marker in some highland dialects of Quechua is -hu-. This matters mostly because of syllabification and what seems to be free variation between a hiatus or a diphthongized pronunciation of verbs in this form. Only noting this because I'm working on vowels this week in my Quechua Phonology research group so it's on my mind but I don't have a definitive answer just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment